Hunt Namibia with VIERANAS SAFARIS

2008 Namibia Rifle Hunt with VIERANAS SAFARIS - Karen Meyer
“EXPERIENCE OVERLOAD” is what I must say about my visit to Namibia and VIERANAS SAFARIS. Much more success hunting than I ever dreamed. Thank you for opening my eyes to a whole different way of life.
I enjoyed the wonderful food and the sincere friendship and hospitality


“Magnificent” Warthog
Warthogs are gray, hairy, ugly, and dirty looking. Why would anyone want one? Late morning on my first day of hunting we arrived at a lovely pond nestled in foothills. Tracker Pete, guide Andre and I walked in and sat in the shade under some bushes. We had not been there more than 10 minutes when Andre on my right whispered warthog and indicated to my left. At that distance I could hardly see it walking in. Andre said it looked like a “nice” warthog. As it got closer he said it was a “good” warthog. He then said it was a “really big” warthog. When the warthog was about 10 feet from the water’s edge, Andre exclaimed that it was a “magnificent warthog”. I thought, darn, maybe I’d better shoot it. I had already put my rifle up on the short sticks. The warthog dropped where it stood. It ranged 92 yards across the pond. I immediately christened the pond “Lake Karen”

Springbok
Mid afternoon while driving across flatland in bright sunshine we came across a small Springbok herd off to our right. We drove farther past them and stopped. Tracker Pete, guide Andre and I stalked parallel to the herd for 30 minutes and then began to move to the right. We came up behind them. I mounted my rifle on the safari sticks and made a good shot before my trophy was able to moved out of clear range.

Kudu
While making periodic scouting visits to the pond, aka “Lake Karen”, it was concluded that unlike the Warthog, the large animals were coming in at the other end where two hills dropped down and came together at a shady cove. A plan was hatched to go back the next day and build a blind on the open bank across from the cove. I watched in fascination as tracker Pete and guide Andre wired a structure of cut mopane trees, wrapped it in camo cloth, and hung cut leafy branches around the outside. Work stopped when a herd of Oryx came to drink in the cove. The finishing touches to the blind included a wool blanket on the floor and folding camp chairs inside facing the cove. An hour passed and we decided to have our sandwiches, cookies, and Coke. I had just finished the last of my Coke when a herd of Kudu appeared in the cover. Andre pointed out his preference. It all came together for me. The perfect scope setting, a solid rest on the sticks, and time enough to perfectly place the shot. Distance ranged 120 yards.

Hartmann’s Mountain Zebra
After taking the two animals I had wanted, the Springbok and Kudu, a last minute decision was made to also hunt a Hartmann’s Mountain Zebra. After climbing to the top of a mountain of boulders, called a kopje, tracker Colin, guide Andre, and I sat four hours in the sun watching for Zebra known to be in the area. After going back to the truck for lunch we set out to roam over hill and dale in search of the elusive Zebra. Just as hope was fading late afternoon, Andre spotted a Zebra standing farther down the dirt road under a tree. An amazing sight happened when I took the shot. Out of the brush to the right of the road flushed perhaps twenty-some Zebra. They ran across the road in front of us and up the hill, my Zebra going with them. Colin and Andre sprinted up the hill as well. As I followed up the hill, I was quickly reminded that once you lose site of the truck you are lost in a world of rocks and bushes. It took some time for Colin and Andre to locate my Zebra, and it took a little more time for me to locate them.

Comments